

For the past five years these two have been our babies! In three months, they will no longer be the babies!!! They will still be so special to us and we will love them just the same, and as much as I don't want them to not get all the attention anymore.... I know that they won't!!! I am not so sure how this is going to go over with them! Ele has an anxiety order (yes, I know she is a dog) but she has been diagnosed....she breaks out in hives and swells really bad! She doesn't handle change well at all! Adi, is just a princess....she doesn't think of herself as a dog, and she is going to have a rude awakening when she isn't allowed up in my lap all the time! My mom cut an article out of the paper last weekend about getting dogs ready for a baby! She knew we would need to read it because they are sooooo spoilt!!! We have already started a couple of changes, such as using the soaps and lotions occasionally that we will use on him so they will be used to the smell (plus I just love the smell of baby lotion) and we have already broken the habit of getting them out of our bed (this was harder on Brent and I than them)....but there are some things on the list that we refuse to do..... One of the suggestions is to carry around a babydoll so they can get use to seeing us with a baby....REALLY???? One thing that worked for my brother and sister-in-law was bringing home clothing that smelt like the baby from the hospital before bringing home the baby! We might try that also! Anyways, it was a very interesting article...with some great suggestions and some over the top suggestions! We are hoping the change won't be to hard on either one of them!
9 comments:
i remember reading a similar article and trying to use some helpful tips without going over the top in preparing berkeley for adelaide. i can now say that our transition was so much easier than i ever could have imagined. the only time i thought berkeley was going to lose it was the first night when adelaide would wake up crying i could see berk's wide eyes staring in disgust at the rude awakening. other than that she has been awesome with baby and i bet yours will be too!
Sorry, I have no advice for you. We do have a dog, but because of our craziness after Mallory was born, he was at Brad's parent's house basically for a full month. Then, when we finally moved, he turned into an outside dog. Connor is soooo skiddish around her and is still in puppy mode (he'll be 3 this summer). We let him come in the house during nap times and after both babies are in bed. It's a bummer, but that's how it works for our family.
Your dogs are beautiful! It makes me miss our lab. That is a whole different story and too long to leave here on the comment section!
Sorry, but I am laughing about the anxiety thing. And I would LOVE to see you guys carrying around a baby doll! Obviously I'm not a parent anytime soon and I don't have dogs, so I have no clue about any of this. But it was fun to read! Good luck!
I would love to see both of you carrying around a baby doll! Please do it and post pictures!!!
Love ya,
Cheryl
I just laughed OUTLOUD!!!! I can't wait for Peter to read this article!! Sally has been having anxiety attacks. Come to find out, it's really a stomach ache so they changed her food. :) Have fun getting the dogs ready! :)
That makes me so nervous about Jack and Harley...Jack because he's jealous, and Harley because she has anxiety too! I can't even imagine them not sleeping in our bed anymore. I bet that was hard! Do y'all have SO much room now?? I can't believe Caden will be here so soon!!!
When you typed 3months...it is crazy to believe it he will be here before you know it! Mason LOVES dogs...that was one of his first words and we don't even have one :)
Oh girl..we did all of that! Washed the puppy blankets in DREFT, went in his room and talked about him, made them smell clean diapers...you name it. We also sent home his first day blanket with my parents and had them put it in thier cage. Then, when we got home, we walked in and greeted the puppies first, then put Q in his carseat on the ground so they could smell him! They've loved him ever since! :) ...Such beautiful pics of your dogs, by the way!
Oh that is so fun! I don't know what I would have done but those all sound like good ideas. I'm sure those dogs will love your little one! 3 more months! wow it goes by fast!
Post a Comment